View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Something you just cant ignore?

Question for all your veteran officials...has there ever been a comment that you just couldnt ignore?

After 4 yrs officiating someone hit my sore spot I guess.... There were 2 guys sitting on the endline away from the other fans, I think they were school administrators to be able to sit that close to the court. I make a traveling call on the other end, girl switched her pivot foot. Come down and am lead, hear one of the men say "This ref is like Jerrys kids". He didnt just say it once, but several references to all of us officials being jerrys kids. I didnt take my eyes off the court, but after the game (and I know it was wrong), I was leaving the gym and had to walk by them to get out....and I said..."dont make fun of Jerrys kids". The guys asks me what? and I say it again, then he yells, "I didnt say it!" So it must have been the other guy sitting there. I got an email from my assignor I told him what happened because apparently the fan cornered the AD at the school and yelled at him about it. Btw, this was at my former HS, first time back there since I started reffing!

So my question to your vets, we all know its wrong to say anything to fans, but is there anything you couldnt ignore?

I told my assignor I will just have to raise the bar on what Im willing to tolerate obviously~~~