Thread: Texas Brouhaha
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The reason that you and I lock horns is because of the way you talk down to your lower-level umpire brothers just because you have some years on them or something. We're other umpires! Some of us love the game as much as humanly possible. So we don't need to be outclassed by you in some of that haughty stuff you write.
You are welcome to your perception, as are we all.

I don't "lock horns" with you. I don't have that much emotion invested in you, sorry.

What I do is refuse to give anyone a free ride who spouts questionable material as "fact" when it is indeed most likely opinion. We have a constant turnover of newbies here who may not understand that just because some posters use language to appear knowedgeable, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are.

While I do point out instances where opinion is being expressed as fact, it only looks like I'm locking horns with you because you do it so often.

If searching for the truth appears haughty to you, so be it.

Quote:
Well, you know what? When it comes to seeking and providing information on the game of baseball, I am at a higher level than you. I have had many more years of that than you and am decidedly more accomplished than you. So what do I do? Should I talk down to you from now on any time a subject ranges outside your area of mastery: umpiring?
As prez 40 would say, "There you go, again."

Since you have no knowlegde of my interests, history or abilities, you have no information to make a factual statement in this regard. You do, however, have every right to express your personal opinion and it will carry the weight it has earned.

So, then, bottom line, with no hautiness, just a request for honest data, do you or do you not have factual data to support your oft repeated claims that baseball players give less charitably then any other professional athlete? If so, please share it so you audience can measure it against what they might know.

Thanks.