View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I think you covered it when you observed, "I really don't get it.". It's not about a correlation between sports officiating and our flag.

It's about respect, it's about 9/11, it's about honoring those who are spread out around the globe so we're able to enjoy participating in a great game back home without fearing that something terrible might happen just for being there. It's about being proud enough about being blessed as an American, to designate yourself as an American.

Unfortunately, if you really don't "get it", it's doubtful you ever will.
That event is not the only tragedy in this countries history. There was the Oklahoma City Bombing that involved governmental agencies and people working in those agencies both military and civilian casualties, and no one was wearing a flag after that event. And the event was done in direct conflict with the U.S. Government, but the terrorist were from this country. And if that is the only reason, in my opinion that is not a very good reason. Just like it was not a very good reason for Presidential Candidates to wear a flag on their suits for the same reason. And even in that case, the biggest critics of people not wearing flags on their lapel, were some of the same people that did not wear them either but were claiming everyone that was "against America" that did not decide to wear such a symbol. This is not the first war we have had in this country or the first tragic event, so and that is why some people "do not get" why this event was so different?

Peace