Thread: Counting
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 02:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I am trying to be more consistent and accurate on my 10 count and 5 count. I practiced the other night using a timer, as some of you have suggested, as well as timed myself against the clock in a few rec games this week. My arm swing is slow compared to actual time, by an average of 2 seconds. So, the 10 second count turns into 12 seconds and the five second turns into 6-7 seconds. I also monitored refs the other night in a BV HS game and they seem to be off by about 2-3 seconds as well. My five count is off 1-2 seconds. If I correct my timing to be more accurate, I believe I will be faster than my partners' and create inconsistency during the game. Any suggestions or comments on proper count mechanics. Thanks!
Watch the pre-game clock as seconds tick off, all the while swinging your arm as you would during the game. This will get your count to be accurate.

As for consistency, would you rather be consistenly with your P (whose count will vary from person to person), or to 10 seconds, which is what the rule says?

I would rather be consistent with 10 or 5 than anything else.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 04:36pm.