View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

case in point

Game situation was very similar this last Friday. Blue 33 is driving hard to the basket and a bit out of control. White 21 was standing with her back to the Blue 33. Blue 33 had the time and distance to stop and change direction. Blue 33 ran over White 21. My partner called a foul on White 21. He said she was not guarding her and therefore caused the foul.

After the game, I asked him if White 21 has a right to be anywhere on the floor if she gets there first and does not have a knee or elbow or hip sticking out and does not cause contact with another opposing player by getting there first. He said yes. Then I asked him if Blue 33 had the time and distance to stop or change direction. He said yes more than enough. Then why should White 21 be charged with a blocking foul. If White 21 was standing there because she was watching cutters through the lane or guarding another opponent or if she was just there waiting to see what to do next, Blue 33 initiated the contact, especially being out of control. He said he never thought about those things. He thought she had to be guarding the player. He said it may have been a PCF instead.