Thread: Texas Brouhaha
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Why don't you ask some of the D1 Basketball officials for some help.

At least the High School Fees for baseball umpires are close to the fees for other sports.

The D1 basketball officials make $1000 per game. There was an article in the paper about a D1 basketball official who worked 124 games in 07-08 and made $124,000, $200 per day expenses, and flight pay from home & back for every game, so he pockets the return fee home since he goes from one school to the next without going back home. Hell, he could if he wanted, have a friend drive him to another site that is close by and pocket the full fare. These are walk-up plane fares so he probably makes another $80,000 this way for a total $200,000 or more per year. I'm sure the D1 baseball umps would love to come as close to the basketball guys, as the High School Baseball umpires do to their counterparts in other sports. That $200 per game and not pocketing the return flight pay, and only $50 per day expenses, is no where close (and yes, I got that economics lesson the last time I mentioned this) to basketball.

Some of those D-1 basket ball guys make about 3k a game... a lot depends on the conference. But yes 3k is alot for a basketball game.