View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
I am a more frequent reader than poster here. In many of the threads I see refs referencing their comments to/with coaches. Some of you clearly call the game with minimal interaction while others are sarcastic, especially with the belligerent coaches (and maybe it's just what you'd like to say...).

Regardless, I believe a number of our less respected refs have little or no interaction with the coaches (many of our refs SPRINT off the court after the game...). Many of our most revered refs are great "game managers" which requires regular coach interaction. My questions: is there room for sarcasm, especially in a tense game? Do any of you find value in "managing" the coach in pre- and/or post-game? And, do you use their first names during games or always refer to them as coach? Other input besides answers to these questions are welcome.

Thanks.
There is a big difference between sarcasm and humor. I recommend humor. Being sarcastic with a belligerent coach will gain you nothing, you've jumped into his/her sandbox. I like to try a little humor, if it doesn't work, I'm all business as they're not in the mood for any banter. If they cross the line, you know what to do.