Thread: Backcourt
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 24, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Looks like I have never understood this rule correctly.

Thumbing through the casebook and came upon 4.4.1 page 23.

Are rules 4.4.1 and 4.4.6 in contradiction? 4.4.1 and the casebook say that if a player receives a pass while straddling the division line and pivots such that he lifts the foot touching the backcourt (I'm immediately thinking 3 points of contact to establish frontcourt - which is wrong!) HE IS IMMEDIATELY IN THE FRONTCOURT. If after he lifts that non-pivot foot (and never touches the frontcourt with it) but sets it back down in the same spot, he has committed a backcourt violation.

4.4.6 addresses DRIBBLING and that frontcourt FOR THE DRIBBLER is only established after "the ball and both feet" touch entirely in the frontcourt.

Not sure how many times I've incorrectly waved that one off and said "No. He has not established himself in the frontcourt yet."

I can see the reason for 4.4.1 - it is similar to how we call inbounds/out-of-bounds but it also seems contradictory to the establishment of frontcourt as defined in 4.4.6.

Any comments?