View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I've used 3 of the 4 shirts listed (have never had a Dalco) and would agree with Kevin's opinion on how they fit, relative to each other. The Honig's are on the tight side, the Cliff Keen's are in the middle and the Official's Choice fit like a freakin' tent! (Actually, that is one thing I do like about the OC shirts).

In the clothing world, labels like "Medium", "Large" or "Extra Large" are somewhat meaningless. There is no industry standard or benchmark sizing guide that says, for instance, a large must be 40" across the chest, or medium will be 36" long. Each manufacturer measures, cuts and assembles clothing to their own standard and the difference between different makers can be frustrating.

Sure, you can just buy the next bigger size, but the unfortunate thing is that you usually have to buy a shirt first before you know if it's going to be a little tight or a little bigger.

Do you see the same odd sizing in umpire pants? I wear a 36" in jeans or Docker-type pants and have slack at the waistband. A 36" Cliff Keene, or my old +POS pants, are on the snug size- almost uncomfortably so. A pair of 36" Fechiemer's I tried on, I could hardly even button! Another lesson learned the hard way- I now buy my umpire pants a size or two bigger than my day-to-day pants, but I had to buy those first pairs to find that out I needed to do that.