View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I thought I heard McAuley say the penalty was before the change of possession. If that's true, Pittsburgh still got the ball with clean hands so they could decline the penalty and keep the ball. But if they accepted the penalty, it would have been enforced from the previous spot and the down replayed. What I heard the announcers say was the penalty was against Arizona and even though they were the offense at the beginning of the play, they became the defense after the COP (they never specifically indicated if the foul was before or after COP). They kept going on and on about how the half can't end on a defensive penalty and I was screaming that it doesn't matter who the foul is on. If accepted (in most cases), you have one untimed down. It's just very unusual for the defense to accept a penalty to give the offense one more chance to score.

I've got the game on DVR so I need to go back and watch to hear what McAuley had to say again. Does anyone know for sure if the penalty was before or after the COP?
It was before. BTW "clean hands" refers to a penalty by each team, one on A before the COP and then on B after.