Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
In the past Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky and Ohio said "no" to gum.
Uh-oh. Now you've done it. I'm quite sure we'll get a 20 paragraph response on the history (or lack thereof) of gum-chewing in Ohio. Bring it on, Mark!!

Quote:
I have never T'd anyone for it, and rarely have I sent a player off the floor for gum. I have T'd a player for the fake injury thing without any hesitation.
I know I'm not going to change your mind on this, Scott, but isn't T'ing the kid for faking enough of a resolution to the problem? Why worry about whether kids have gum? Why not just worry about whether they're being unsportsmanlike? Penalize the kid for actually doing something wrong; not for having something that he MIGHT use to try to trick you.

Quote:
If you are my R and you refuse to allow me send a player off of the court for what I feel is a safety hazard, then you are in violation of Rule 2.
I disagree. If I'm the R and you think sweatbands are a safety hazard, I will not allow you to remove the player. If we disagree on something not covered specifically by the rules, then the R makes the decision. Does that violate Rule 2? I could be wrong, but I don't think it does.

Quote:
Dealing with the unpopular calls will tell you how good your people skills are
Absolutely true. The problem, of course, is that there is no "call" to be made regarding chewing gum. It is neither illegal by rule, nor discussed in the casebook. You're not making a tough call, you're making up a rule. Hey, if everybody in your area (officials, coaches, ADs, parents) all agree that a no-gum policy will be implemented, then that's absolutely fine. But if you're just doing it by fiat, then I think it's not appropriate.

Quote:
I have never had a coach curse me directly that didn't remove himself. I didn't have to toss them, they knew that they had crossed the line and left on their own.
Hey, sign me up for your local board. Of course, I'm not sure I'm willing to move to Neverland. That sounds a little too good to be true, although I'm not doubting your word, Scott. I just think it's highly unusual. Most coaches don't even know there is a line, let alone when they've crossed it.

As I said, I'm not going to change anybody's mind. Just throwing in my $.02

Chuck