Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

You haven't been had, the emphasis has been there.
In the past Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky and Ohio said "no" to gum. I haven't been in any of those state in at least 2 years, so maybe things have changed.
Florida last week said to tell them to get rid of it in the rules clinic. I don't remember who brought it up but it was said.
I don't remember what Alabama had to say about it, but the local association did say "no" to gum back in the 80's.
No association that I have worked with over the last 20 years has gone head hunting over it.
Some of you seem to think that this becomes a T fest or a way to stir up trouble.
I have never T'd anyone for it, and rarely have I sent a player off the floor for gum. I have T'd a player for the fake injury thing without any hesitation.
This summer, I worked approximately 70 varsity level games at camps run by two colleges designed for HS programs. Gum was a "no no" there as was candy.

I really must suppose that some of you guys have never worked outside of your local area much if any at all. Thus you don't see the different focus on certain things.
If you are my R and you refuse to allow me send a player off of the court for what I feel is a safety hazard, then you are in violation of Rule 2.
That would make you a very dangerous partner to work with.
Like I said, you call your game and I will call mine.
Different things are emphasized by different state and local associations.
I am having trouble getting used to the difference between the former Texas association and here with regards to hand checking. Here, you practically have to grab the opposing player and hold them before it is called....not so in the former Texas association nor like Louisiana..hell, Alabama could've cared less back when I was there in the 80's. So things change.
Just like the line up on the lane. Florida no longer allows a player into the lower block much like the NCAA mechanic. This is not so according to one of the mavens of this board back in the summer. Amazingly, that whiz kid found out just how wrong he was when I contacted him personally by email and called his assoc. president. I guess that whiz kid will attend the state field clinic to come up to speed.
Get outside of your area, outside of your comfort zone and you will indeed find that things are different.

Dealing with the unpopular calls will tell you how good your people skills are, ejections are rare as are Ts.
Hell, some of you are worried about lists of words that get you tossed......? I have never had a coach curse me directly that didn't remove himself. I didn't have to toss them, they knew that they had crossed the line and left on their own. Not bad for 20 years.