Thread: Quip's List
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
You know the more that I officiate the less sarcastice I am becoming to coaches. I first felt that if a coach was an idiot and kept asking or begging for stuff then I would pop off with a quick one-liner or some smart ellic response. I also officiate college womens volleyball and coach boys high school volleyball. As a coach, I don't want some official to attempt to handle me, because I am usually rated higher and have a better knowledge of the rules that he or she does. If I have a question or problem with your call - I will say so. I would expect a coach to do the same thing when I am officiating their game.
At the Coast to Coast camp Ron Garretson was talking about this same topic and just mentioned to be professional. Of course they are miked and every word recorded. "There are times when a Rasheed Wallace needs some quick line, but try to refrain. Use the rules as your one liners."
I always try to use the language from the rule books without sounding like a "rulebook referee". I have found that I get a lot more respect and the games seem to go much smoother.