View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
First off, Whowefoolin, background checks in most states do not return a person's criminal record. There are different levels, and the results are either "Passed," or, "Didn't pass." LL gossip may exist, but the gossip will be pure speculation.

Second, Little League only requires a check of a state's sex offenders list. The vast majority have them. Those that do not are stuck with typical background checks, the level of which involve only crimes against children. Individual local leagues do have the option of performing complete background checks as well. That is no different from past years. It is entirely up to them, and has been for quite awhile now.

As far as cost, the vast majority of states will run the checks against the sex offenders list for free. Granted, some don't (mine does), but in those states that do not, it is a simple matter to ask local law enforcement to run those checks as a service to the community. I doubt many will say no. If they do, it is another simple matter to raise some funds for such a worthwhile cause. Local businesses are generally very happy to sponsor such a project.

Finally, you have perpetuated a myth that sex offenders are shady. They're not. They can be local clergy, Boy Scout leaders, someone's uncle or brother, just about anybody. In the vast majority of cases, the parents trusted the sex offender with their child and didn't suspect a thing. Gaining trust and appearing normal is the child sex offender's trump card.

Child sex offenders are mainly repeat offenders. When they are discovered in one place, they move on to the next. That's why such background checks are necessary. No one suspects the very nice man who moved into town a few years ago. He's great with the kids, he contributes to his community, he has a steady job, he is respected, he gains parents' trust, and he molests their children when he has the opportunity. He gains the childrens' trust, convinces them that what they are doing is normal, plays on the child's lack of emotional maturity, and takes advantage of their unwillingness to talk about the activity they participated in to their parents. It's an insidious crime. It robs children of their childhood.

I am an Assistant District Administrator with Rhode Island District 3. Last night, we held our monthly meeting to discuss plans for next season. I gladly filled out my volunteer application form with the necessary information and turned it in. If it helps one child be safe from a sex offender, that miniscule bit of inconvenience was all worthwhile as far as I'm concerned.