View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it is too much of a hassle to try to find out who will do a lot of games a season, and who will do a few and leave right away (paid umpires).

The rules strictly say volunteers. So leave it at that. But now, it is easier to be a volunteer coach (2 games a week), or a volunteer snack bar host (rotation is about once every 2 weeks), or a volunteer board member (usually meeting with adults and not with kids) then it is to be a volunteer umpire.

We all know that after all the hoopla and fanfare goes out of the beginning of the season, most volunteer umps (and I am not saying all) will not be so hard pressed to show up at their scheduled times. Work, sick kids, vacations, etc...will get in the way. Especially during the dog days.

So, this leaves us with pulling a dad, out of the stands and doing an impromtu game. Who is doing his background check?

I am in the military. I have a clearance. I know how it is done. I can't see LL paying the IA, or anyone closely in their arena, the big bucks to check every individual thoroughly enough to make us comfortable. Plus, even if they do pay, it will take several months to get any word back. So start yesterday?

Oh, they might be able to give names to the local law enforcement and see if there are any warrants or they are a sex offender. But then we are talking about rights, right?

So lets see how this is done? I say let it be. Don't let a few ruin a good time for the rest. It ain't going to happen in every community. Let the board decide who is capable/able. They know each other. If someone is shady, turn them down. Don't tell me LL gossip doesn't exist??!!