View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

It was me who brought them and compared....

the Honig's and the Smitty brand dark grey. There is so small a difference in shade you could not tell from 10 feet away even when the differing pants are right next to each other. On a ball field you would not even notice.

As to the difference between heather and charcoal, I worked the entire HS post season and summer in poly-wools with partners in heather. No one said a thing and I don't think anyone noticed including my very eagle-eyed assigner who is his own brand and species of uniform nazi. He has been know to take games away from guys for uniform violations. He watched me do two plates and two base jobs in the post season without a word about uniform.

If money is really tight the Smitty brand will do you good in the short run but I don't think they will last all that long. I would plan on buying the Honig's for longer use and wear. (unless something better and more affordable comes along.)
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.