View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I know this will meet with some resistance from officials, but part of the problem is the lakidasical way players exit the court when subbed for. The official determining the number of players on the floor must wait a period of time before counting each team substituting. many times it is as much as 10 seconds.

If there was a 5 second count, and then the official counted the number of players on the floor, he or she could administer a penalty for more than 5 players to the offending team. This would place more burden on the coaching staff to get the players off quickly.

after a short time coaches would train the kids to get off quickly, and we would have less problems to deal with.
beachbum,
While I can see your point, here, I cannot agree with it. We have enough counts already. When would the five count start? When the sub is beckoned? When the player is notified? What if the sub has a slight injury? How will you decide if there is an injury? We have more than enough opportunities to ruin the flow of a game with a technical foul. I don't want one more.

I am never in that big of a rush to get the game over that an extra 5 seconds (even if it happens 50 -- yes FIFTY -- times in a game, we are only talking about 250 seconds or a whopping four minutes!!!). In reality, it probably happens 5 - 10 times in a game resulting in an additional 25 to 50 SECONDS of elapsed time. Not enough for me to even think about administering a technical foul (taking at least 25 to 50 seconds to administer -- never mind the change of "tone" in the game).