Thread: Strike Zone...
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, the dreaded and beloved.....

12-6 curveball. I had three or four pitchers I coached who could throw a true 12-6. They were so nasty. Opposing coaches and players hated them. Some umpires that worked my games would not call a strike when it came through the zone unless the batter swung, which they often did. But it really hacked me off when they didn't call it.

I vowed that if and when I saw a good 12-6 as an umpire I would call it and that I would also call the back door curve ball when it nibbled on the corner.

I have called them, I do call them and I do not tolerate whining and *****ing from coaches and players who fall victim to them. I love good pitching and I call the tough pitches without remorse.

The biggest complaint against umpires working last year's NCAA regionals, super regionals and CWS was that they needed to call more strikes.

I have heard that before and I believe in calling strikes, even on the tough borderline pitches and even when the catcher butchers a good pitch that gets through the zone.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.