View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
The last option-"Why would I do that?" is for the clueless or the absolute neophytes to umpiring.

The next to last is for those who do not need to let anyone know or just don't care.

At least that is the way I see it.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.
I voted for Not usually, but I've done it for big games., but I don't see what you mean about "Why would I do that?" indicating cluelessness or a rank beginner's answer. I nearly answered it that way, because very rarely would I even consider doing that. It is not mandated (the last I knew) here, and most fields are a long walk from any parking area. Plus, we are expected to be there, and the coaches really would say "Good for you" if we reported in like Gomer Pyle to Sergeant Carter.

I also don't see how saying that it is "not my practice" is the same as "I just don't care." It just isn't necessary in many areas. There is no shame in NOT letting the coaches know you've arrived. Perhaps if an area has trouble getting umpires to show up for games, then it would be a great idea. As I said earlier, if you don't show for a game around here, you're pretty much done.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25