View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Well philosophically, that makes sense, but in practice, I'm afraid it would just be a huge mess.

I mean, you've got refs out there that can't even keep the rules straight about who gets possession at the beginning of eACH quarter, and you expect them to think this one through properly?

And it's philosophically different from all the other CE's, so it's one more "exception" to try to remember. I agree with your theory, but I think it would just be too much of a strain to put it into practice this way.
Juulie,
The ONLY thing that I am attempting to do is EXTEND THE TIME we can FIX an OFFICIAL'S OBVIOUS MISTAKE when awarding a throw-in. Currently, we can already FIX the MISTAKE UNTIL the throw-in ends. I am merely extending the time.

The problem is not an inablity to "keep the rules straight about who gets possession at the beginning of each quarter", it is a simple MISTAKE that officials make on a fairly regular basis.

The error can ONLY be corrected until a change in possession or the ball becomes dead (i.e. If the correction has not been made before the ball becomes dead or a change in possession, the error is ignored).

This means that if you did not stop play BEFORE a basket, a foul or a violation, the error is ignored. I understand that this will not correct all of these Wrong-Team-Throw-ins, BUT it would likely catch about 80-90% or more. I know more than one official who has made a correction to match my proposed rules already.

Typically, I have seen coaches VERY upset when the mistake is NOT corrected. Similarly, I have yet to see a coach argue "Hey, you can't correct that, the throw-in has already ended."

What do you do if a PLAYER makes this mistake (i.e. A1 makes a Free Throw and A2 then grabs the ball and inbounds the ball)? If A2 is able to get to the ball quickly enough and inbound to A1, are you going to allow the play to continue if A1 touches the inbound pass before you blow the whistle?