View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What do you do with any game action which occurred following the mistaken throw-in, but before the recognition of the error? Does it count? Does it get wiped away? Does the clock reset? How would you correct a past throw-in from the POI? All other CEs use the POI for the resumption of play.

My opinion is that there are too many variables, and that is why this isn't a CE, but rather is simply considered an official's mistake.
Nevadaref,
Keep in mind, I am suggesting that the error can only be corrected UNTIL there is a possession change. Generally, these errors are caught as the player is dribbling in the wrong direction at the start of a quarter or as soon as one of the partners realizes they are in the wrong position based on direction of the dribbler upon receipt of an inbounds pass.

Therefore, I would propose that the error could only be corrected until the ball becomes dead (shot made, foul, violation, etc.) or until the other team secured the ball. It would be treated as all other correctable errors in that nothing would be wiped out. There would be no resumption of play based on a POI since the only correction is change of team possession and play.

In essence, I am merely proposing that we extend the time that we can correct our blunder to "during the first possession while the ball is live" from "until the throw-in ends." I have seen many officials do this in practice, anyway.