View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
OK, the handling of the free throws error was just to add an extra step. I have a real concern with Correctable Errors. In the scenario that I just posed, Team A gained a tremendous advantage due to the Correctable Error which has always seemed to me to be unfair.

If A1 is fouled resulting in a common foul, Team A would be entitled to EITHER:
A. the ball -- if the foul would have been the 1st to 6th Team B committed in the half OR
B. a 1+1 FT situation for A1 -- if the foul would have been the 7th to 9th Team B committed in the half OR
C. a 2 shot situation for A1 -- if the foul would have been the 10th or more committed by Team B in the half.

In the case where the scorer's table has blundered, Team A can get BOTH A. AND B. above. This seems to be an unfair outcome.

I can see how one could conclude that Team A is entitled to FTs IF they failed to score on the subsequent possession, BUT, once the team has scored on that possession, it would seem that the error should no longer be correctable since the team already received the full benefit of the foul.

Thoughts???
That's exactly what the FIBA rule says on this case: if the team which should have been credited the free throws scores, the error is ignored (44.3.2).

Ciao