View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I believe the clinics are an appropriate place for umps to ask what if questions. They are doubts those umps have and to get them answered is all positive. Those that know the answer have to "put up with" the learners.. If everyone got a casebook and read the ASA clarifications and plays, then the number of what ifs would be limited to advanced questions and concepts.
It isn't so much that "what if" factor, but the level of absurdity some of these questions can go. There are also times where it becomes like a media event at the White House. If the reporter doesn't like the first response, they keep asking the same questions or try to put another slant trying to justify an inaccurate perception.

Ron saw that side when discussing the errant throw issue on the double base. I don't know how many times one clinician or another stated that the throw needs to pull the defender away from the base and into foul territory for it to be considered an errant throw as it pertains to the rules. It can get frustrating not only to the clinician, but the others in the audience.

Ron is correct, a clinic is the place to get the questions answered. Unfortunately, there are a few who are looking to try and catch a rule or clinician in a gaff. When there is a questionable response, the clinicians get together with the book and make sure the umpires are given the correct answer. And I'm talking to the point of calling KR. That should be the end of it. If you still disagree, address the clinician during a break or afterwards.