View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
A1 is on a break away lay up. B1 is chasing from behind. As A1 goes up for the layup, B1 reaches down with both hands to A1's shorts and attempts to pull them down. B1 doesn't get a good enough tug and A1 scores the basket.
I counted the basket and gave B1 a technical foul. Opposing coach wanted an intentional foul which I don't think is right. I told B1 he was making a travesty of the game and that was what the foul was for. He didn't argue but looking in the rule book I would have probably went with 10-3-6 and just say it was an unsporting foul.
While I was not there, based on the description I am still not sure that this foul was anything more than an intentional foul of grabbing an opponent's uniform. phansen is the only one that can answer as to whether it was clear that B1's objective was not just to foul A1, but rather to pull the shorts down for the purpose of embarassing A1 (or some other malicious intent).

My initial thought was a simple intentional foul. MByron, you MIGHT be right that the Coach B wanted intentional because of ball location, but I think his primary concern was to get more than a basket single FT out of the play. My guess is that the coach was fine with a basket, two FTs and the ball at the division line.

Something prior to this situation would have had to have tipped me off that something was in-the-brewing for me to even think flagrant foul or technical foul in this case. But, as I have stated, phansen is the only one of us who could determine intent in this situation.