View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:20pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
A1 is an airborne shooter. His basket goes in, his feet then land on the floor, after which he makes illegal contact (not flagrant) with B1, driving B1 backwards and onto the floor.

I call the basket good, and a common foul on A1, then the ball OOB for B.
Upon locker room review, should I not have rather called an intentional foul, since A1's illegal contact occurred during a dead ball situation after the made basket?

I can't find the reference to support the correct call, other than the obvious 6-7-1. I see 10-3-7 which calls for a T, but the contact clearly was not intentional; that just doesn't seem to fit the infraction.
Isn't there a casebook sitch on this exact play? Any help?
Once the ball has gone through the basket, and A has landed, and the ball is not yet at B's disposal for the subsequent throw-in, the ball is dead, and no foul can be committed by A unless intentional or flagrant.

So yes, if you wish the foul to stand, then it should have been an intentional foul. Since the ball is dead, it would have to be a technical foul. Therefore, the foul is an intentional technical foul.

It seems that you maybe should have passed on the call, since it is unlikely that A meant to knock B down. A's intent was to shoot the ball, giving no thought to what happens after s/he lands.