View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It is perfectly legal to anticipate and brace for contact, including falling backwards. Usually the flop involves a verbal noise and/or suddenly flailing the arms to mimick the effects of a collision; rather than slowly falling backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
So it's open season on players that fall down on thier own now? I missed that new rule. Sorry 25, you fell down. Now 15 gets to body slam you from the top rope. Get ready!
I am thinking you two gentlemen may not have read the OP very carefully. You may not have missed the new rule, BUT you did miss a pretty important phrase in the OP. While sounds and flailing arms may "usually" be associated with feinting a foul, I assume that you agree that there is no requirement for these elements for the official to properly issue a technical foul in this case. I have highlighted the key part of the description for you below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Player A1 driving hard to the basket, goes airborne at the lower block. B1 who has position anticipates the contact and tries to sell a PC, only problem A1 went straight up and releases a try that hits the bottom of the cylinder and bounds directly into B1’s hands while laying on the floor, and A1 dives on B1 trying to get the ball.
As I stated initially, it appears at though B1 was feinting a foul, in this case based on the words of the CO. Therefore, those of you calling a foul on A1 have, indeed, quite possibly ignored a foul committed by one player (B1) and then imposed a foul on the other (A1) for fouling a player who got to his position while committing a foul -- once again, based on the OP description not my opinion.