View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

The LA Times ran an article on the Bball graduation rates of all of the teams in the NCAA tournament last year. If memory serves, Stanford was the only school with a 100% rate, there were a small handful at 80%+, and a series of apalling numbers -- including, I believe, a few schools with a 0.

Perhaps ironically, Stanford proceeded to lose its first ever players early to the NBA -- Jacobsen and Borchardt. Jacobsen may have erred, but it's hard to question Borchardt's decision: he's been injury prone in college, and has a window -- if he had another big injury this year staying in college, he'll never sign the guaranteed NBA contract; on the other hand, if he gets injured in the NBA, he can easily pay to finish off his college degree.

Ultimately, as the article noted, however, the driving force behind the numbers is not the guys going pro -- these schools aren't losing half their program to the NBA -- not even at Duke. (I might add that Coach K seems to take graduation seriously -- I believe it was when Laetner had not graduated he would not let the championship banner hang until he finished, so that the whole team had graduated.)