View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
I don't really have a huge problem with the way you handled that. However, the one clock scenario intriques me. Why is a sight line to the clock necessary since the period ends on the horn? If you had it clean up top and the whole world isnt complaining I think your no-call is a good one. My only question mechanically speaking is why do you care about a visual unless you sense something is wrong. Otherwise you have one guy on the ball and one guy on the clock and who has got the other eight guys? Just a thought.
Good points, but just yesterday we had an awkward situation with something just like this and I'd like thoughts on it.

Around here when we have just a single clock, it also seems common to have the official facing it keep an eye on it (for final shots). I'm doing just lower level games, but I've heard V guys talk about it too.

Well, yesterday I was L and facing the clock. Just as we agreed in pregame, we caught each other's eye and I signaled I had the clock. Well, wouldn't you know the ball got forced down -- and away from clock side -- and my eyes instinctively followed the action. Turns out the horn was delayed and we played an extra couple of seconds.

Luckily the ball was fumbled and no shots took place, but I'm at a loss for how that should be handled. We had a freshman kid at the clock and I don't think it would have been appropriate to lay it on him to tell us if a shot would have gone off (especially if he wasn't watching the numbers hit 0:00, which you can bet he wasn't). But how/when can you divert your gaze -- especially if it's significantly away from the action, the direction of which you can't necessarily predict.

(As an aside, a quarter later, I had the same situation and this time I kept a closer eye on the clock and wouldn't you know it, as I glanced up at the scoreboard, I just barely caught an offensive blocking foul as A1 rushed the ball up the court -- and this occurred as the ball was moving toward the clock.)

Is this something that gets easier with experience or ... ? (Granted, it's not going to happen at the V level, but that leaves a whole lot of places it still can happen for an awful lot of us.)