View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 06:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Block/charge is among the easiest of calls for me.

The most difficult call for me is travelling. Kids are doing amazing things with the ball these days and they're really crowding the border on what travel is or isn't.
Concur.

While not as experienced as some, I find the block/charge easier to call too. If the defender has LGP and the offensive player doesn't get their head and shoulders beyond the defender (over simplification) it is easier for me to call/sell as at the younger levels - say F and below, so few players, coaches, fans actually get/see the call, they are usually overjoyed and elated that someone actually called it.

While traveling is a more common violation/call, it happens so often at the younger levels and I just feel I miss it more than I should....and my evaluators have let me know that. I need to work on this.

PS - I called a player-control foul in a VG game last night and the fans went absolutely wild like they had just won the state championship. It was one of the more surreal moments of my career.