View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:04am
#thereferee99

One of my most memorable games from last year:

Girls JV. School A are visitors and have a typical JV squad in the area. School B has 5 girls to start. One kid who is an athlete and some skills, others all look like first year players. School B's basketball program is in shambles, but has new varsity coach who has come in committed to making the program better.

It hasn't 'taken' yet, though, and this is towards end of the season. Nobody in the stands... Anyways, Team B is getting beaten pretty badly from the outset. Can't handle pressure, lots of easy basket for visitors. But the girls are playing hard, especially on defense!

Halftime comes, and visitors are probably up 40-3 or somesuch. Team B's best player has racked up 4 fouls. Partner and I know this, but even then, she clobbers a Team A player and we have to call the foul. She is gone, and now home team has 4 girls, and is getting 'slaughtered'.

So what happens? These girls kinda go crazy with effort the rest of the way. They had to be tired, and had every right to be discouraged, but played HARD for the remainder of the game. Maybe 65-5 by the end.

It made a very lasting impression on me. Very impressive.