View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, it may not matter to you, but it is a matter of concern to others. The black shirt was rejected for use by one assignor, and another hinted that I should not try to wear it. So I gave it away to my dad, who wears it to jazz clubs and the senior center. And to a great many other umpires, having a non-standard color or trim pattern does indeed make a difference if both or all umpires don't match. And in the case of the Official's Choice black, cream and MLB light blue, they don't match any other shirt in the entire industry.

This particular company has tried to make its way in an arrogant and non-standard fashion. If it doesn't matter to you, wear shirts that don't match your partner(s). I'm with the other faction, of which there are a great many members. (But in my outside life, I couldn't care less about such minute details.)

I've had some experience with this company--both with its products and with some personal communications--and I think it's only fair to warn everybody and give them the benefit of my experiences. They have chosen their path and it is now fraught with major problems of their own creation. They have a very arrogant approach, as opposed to the pliant, humble approach of guys like Jim Kirk (ump-attire.com) or Rex Mehrhoff (Between The Lines). The Official's Choice's price is unbeatable, but their quality, consistency, availability, reliability, marketing approach and professionalism are all routinely outdone by most of the other offerings in this industry. Cost isn't everything if you can't use it, or have to replace it, or look ridiculous wearing it.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Jan 22, 2009 at 02:35pm.