Thread: Partner Help
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Partner Help

I am new to this board but not a new official. This is actually the first time this has happened to me.

I had a middle school boys and girls game Monday evening. This was a 2 person game. My partner was a newer official, was a super guy and asked for suggestions after each quarter.

What is the problem? He kicked and missed obvious calls. Some of the calls were no where near my primary but I could see they were missed. Others were much closer to my primary and I did see all of the action. I only corrected one of his calls that was in my primary, we talked about calling in your own primary. Most of his "misses" seemed to be incorrect mechanics. He was calling what seemed to be violations and fouls but used incorrect mechanics and signals. He was nervous and had indecision and hesitation in his mechanics. The coaches started chirping at him on every call. They could smell the blood in the water especially after we talked and changed one of his calls. I felt bad for him because he was trying his best and wanted to do a good job. The coaches then started in on me to watch the entire floor.

When you see a partner make a mistake do you correct it with them each time? Do you let certain things go? Some of his calls changed the momentum of the game.