View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The 2nd part of the scenario is this: I knew the rule and called it a violation accordingly in the game. However, the observer told me I misapplied the rule and I should not have blown the whistle. I tried to explain that front court status had been attained as soon as he caught the ball, but he told me that was not the rule.
How would you (anyone) handle this situation?
If it happened at a camp and observer is highly rated official?
If it happened during the season and observer reports directly back to your supervisor?
JMO:

Camp - "Yes, sir." You can forget the comment later.

Second scenario - this is a bit tougher. If you're worried about it being reported back to your supervisor as a kicked rule, you may want to say something to the observer along the lines of "I appreciate your concern on that rule, but I'm just pretty darn sure I'm right. Can we get into the rule book and find that right now?"

If that's not an option, a quick call to your supervisor to ask about it in a "Hey, [observer] noted that I kicked a backcourt violation call. I wanted to talk through it because if I kicked it I'm reading the rule wrong, but if I'm reading it right then I didn't kick it."

If you aren't worried about the observer reporting it back, then the camp philosophy may be best.