View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm with j.a.r. here.

As the official with some important information, I would initiate the private huddle. To do this, you could give a quick tweet on the whistle, but definitely run in and initiate a conversation before anything gets reported to the table or anyone else.

JAR is correct that ultimately, the decisions rests with the Referee. If you have definite knowledge that there is 1.2s left on the clock, you could stress that your job as the non-calling official is to look at the clock when your partners have a whistle. At that point, if the R really doesn't want to keep the 1.2s, well, I will let you draw your own conclusions about what the R is really saying.

Sometimes I word things in a way that makes it a stretch for a coach to deem it reasonable to continue *****ing about something. End the conversation with the factual information that will benefit the team of the coach to whom you're speaking.

To the green coach: "Coach, the best way to ensure that we ruled correctly on a close play near the end of a quarter is a quick conference and share information. The foul happened clearly before the buzzer, therefore white will shoot two fouls shots. However, we know that there is still 1.2s left in the quarter."

To the white coach: "Coach, the best way to ensure that we ruled correctly on a close play near the end of a quarter is a quick conference and share information. We have definite knowledge that there was 1.2s left when the foul was whistled. Your player A14 will shoot two foul shots."

Just my 2 cents.