View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I take it that this is the heart of the matter.
yes...and they each have about 3-4 more volleys left in them that should land in the same place before they agree that their philosophies are just different.

I do fall in the camp where if the offense IS playing keep away that the defense shouldn't just expect a foul. If they choose to try and make a statement then I just call what needs to be called. Its not the offenses fault that they are ahead and in a position to win. As officials we shouldn't feel it necessary to even out the skill on the court.

Case in point. When I was coaching we came out of the half with the ball in our possession. I was going to run the good ol line up on the wrong side of the court to confuse the defense. I told my inbounder to tell the official that we knew which way we were going so that he wouldnt think we were confused. He blows his whistle and points in our new direction, and then when our opponents looked confused and we had them he points and says again, and then he tells them which way we are going and which way they are going. By now we lost our 2 points that we would have had. This is similar to what is going on. Officials should not negate good coaching, or try and help bad coaching.

I will add however that if the contact is borderline in this situation I will call it. But I will not be looking to just call it because the team that is down NEEDS a foul.