View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
yeah I understand I was pretty leary about it that is why I was asking about it before I spent any money
JL,

Kyle puts a lot of cash into his equipment, which is a good thing. For starters though, you'll want to go economical on a few things. Here are some cheaper alternatives to people's suggestions:

---Buy $4 cotton undershirts from walmart instead of getting under armor... although walmart does have cheap imitation under armor if you want it for $12 - I think it's Athletics Wear brand.
---You can get away without buying a designated equipment bag. If you have a big duffel bag at home you can use it, but a bag is not a necessity since you'll rarely have to take your stuff into a locker room (except in kyle's area... lucky!). Plus bags generally run kind of expensive.
---You'll be fine with 1 indicator for the whole year, but you should have another just in case. You can also get away with 1 ball bag, but having 2 is so much more convenient (and I think it looks a little better too).
---Combo hats are fine to wear for both plate and bases for the first year or two. Eventually, you'll want to accumulate some base hats, but my first year I bought 2 combo hats - 1 wool and 1 micro-mesh from Richardson.
---Get 1 pair of good combo pants for the year. Don't go cheap on the pants, but you can get away without buying plate pants and base/combo pants for your first few years. Again, you'll probably want to get a pair of plate pants in the future.

Having said those suggestions, you should not go cheap on things like your chest protector, mask, and plate shoes. Like I said in my original post, go with the Wilson MLU. It's 99 bucks and is a fantastic protector for the money (you won't have to fork out $150+ for a gold or platinum and it should last you many many years). Also, don't cut corners on your uniform. Buy everything from an offical's supply store (so don't be getting your pants from macys or using old baseball cleats as base shoes. That's just sloppy).

Here is a link to the MLU
http://pa.purchaseofficials.com/prod...&cat=63&page=1

Last edited by bossman72; Thu Jan 15, 2009 at 01:46am.