View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
My take is the basic problem here is training. When new officials come into local associations in this area, illegal contact is discussed much more extensively -- I think there is an assumption that "everyone knows what traveling is".

Whether this is due to trainers own inconsistencies or understanding I don't know. Officials who are 'trained' in this fashion are off on the wrong foot (pivot or otherwise) and will be left to educate themselves.

PLUS -- the reading of the rules about what is and isn't traveling is not easy. A quick read through of the definition causes the brow to furrow. You really have to want it to 'own' the traveling rules. Then, you get to go out into the real world where clearly a significant percentage of officials don't 'own' the rule and make your way.
As a new (1st yr.) official I agree. Travelling has been the hardest violation for me to recognize and call (or not cal) on a consistent basis. I'm sure I'm missing a lot as I'm still learning the art of watching everything that's going on in your primary. Any tips? advice?
Thanks as always...I've learned a ton in a very short time on this forum.
KJump