Thread: OT Question
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
[4As a side note, I just read something that helped me in a 3OT game we worked earlier this year. ONLY regulation game timeouts carry over to the next OT. Unused OT timeouts do NOT carry over to succeeding OT's. (See OT Procedure 3-5-1).

To Mike and all others:
I posed the question of time outs carrying over to George Demetriou who along with Rogers Redding publish "Officials Study Guide to NFHS Football Rules. George's response was as follows:

"The intent of the rule is for all timeouts starting with the second half to accumulate. Dick Schindler verified that in the early 90's. I agree the wording in the RB is confusing."

It is also listed on Page 67 (2000 edition) of "Officials Study Guide to NFHS Football Rules" where it states "During each overtime period, each team is allocated one additional charged timeout. Timeouts remaining from the second half of regulation play AND unused timeouts from any previous overtime period(s) carry over."

Therefore based on Dick Schindler's interpetation, it is possbile for Team A to have 6 timeouts remaining in OT session 3!

Additionally:
As for changing ends of the field for overtime period 2 and all additional overtime periods. Casebook 3.1.1 Situation D makes it clear this IS an option!

Hope this helps...

[/B]
I never would have intepretted the wording that way. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the NF should clean up the wording of the OT procedure. Almost seems like it is simply an afterthought.