View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 05:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So John Calipari doesn't know what he is doing?

Perhaps the whole team is poor from the FT line.

Face it, your whole conception of this is shaped by the money-driven NBE. That league needs to make it such that the team that is behind has a good chance to come back and win in the final minutes in order to prevent TV viewers from shutting off the game in the last quarter. It's all about selling ads and getting TV money.

Sadly, the NCAA game has moved in that direction in the past 20 years with the rise in the popularity of the NCAA tournament. However, the HS game doesn't need that and hopefully won't go that way.

You can save your pro philosophy for the pro game.
Whatever. I would bet that you are in a distinct minority on this one, regardless of the NFHS's official position and the text you posted.

I've also never had a complaint in making such a call. All fouls I call would be supported on video, but I'm not going to be as patient on my whistle in the last few minutes when the one team is TRYING to foul. Lunge, contact that's a legitimate foul, tweet. Not.....let's see if he plays through it.......

And I think that is the key. If contact that's ruled incidental in the first quarter is ruled that way when a team is trying to foul, well, then that team is going to try harder.

Acting like the circumstances are the same doesn't make them that way -- in the first quarter, the defense isn't trying to stop the clock with a foul and the contact will be isolated to the initial contact, not on escalating amounts until the foul is called (and someone is laying on the floor).