Thread: OT Question
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
As a side note, I just read something that helped me in a 3OT game we worked earlier this year. ONLY regulation game timeouts carry over to the next OT. Unused OT timeouts do NOT carry over to succeeding OT's. (See OT Procedure 3-5-1).
I don't read where that rule modification says that at all.
However, it is a moot point as your state office decides how the timeouts are to be handled. Table 1-7 #9 gives the power to the states regarding procedures to resolve ties.
We carry all unused TO's over. Not that it matters, teams rarely use more than one. [/B]
Illinois uses the OT procedure directly from the book with no modifications. I agree that this rarely comes into play.

Either on this board or the other board I frequent, I specifically asked about unsed OT timeouts and if they carried over and there was some good discussion on this. After asking, I went back and read the OT procedure again. IMO, I think the rule is clear. It states, one additional timeout for each overtime and any unused 2nd half regulation game timeouts. It does not say "plus any unused OT timeouts".

Other states may have different rule modifications.