View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Knowing when to stop

They just don't seem to know when to leave well-enough alone, do they?

GV game Monday night. Very early in 3rd quarter, I am lead and have a blocking foul on H team. She was positioned to take the charge, but the shooter pulled up right in front of her and she leaned in for the contact. Easy call for me, but Home HC not terribly impressed. From his bench at the far end, he thought all contact was by the shooter.

About 3 min. later a similar play develops with my P as the lead, I am opposite the table looking through the lane....I see some of the contact, but the play is right in front of him and I'm sure not going to question his call. We switch and I administer the FTs, then we head back down the court with me as the new trail. Of course, I'm standing in front of the H bench when the ball goes out of bounds on the baseline. With a dead ball and subs coming in, the H AC very politely asks what his girls are doing to get blocking calls instead of charge calls. I explain what I had on my call and say he will have to check with my P on the second call, it was squarely in front of him.

AC was not at all rude and P is now ready to put ball in play, so I take a step away from the bench and onto the court. Now HC starts to chirp:

Home HC: Are you kidding me with the "she leaned forward and caused the contact" bit?
Me: (silence...it can't be quoted, right?)
Home HC: Have you ever taken a charge in your life?
Me: That's enough, Coach. (still watching the players)
Home HC: That's what I thought, you don't have the first clue what you're doing out there...

My whistle sounded at this point for the unsportsman T. Suddenly he was quiet (and seated) the rest of the night. His AC was polite and received a polite answer in return...why in the world would he push the issue?