Thread: Nets
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Can't say I've seen that before, but it's an interesting situation certainly, as there isn't too much in the rules governing specifics of the net. I don't see nets get tangled too often, but when I do I'll only stop the game to fix it if the defense is falling back and not pressing after a made basket, but then like you pointed out, that could potentially be a disadvantage to a team that wants to inbound quickly and move the ball down court to catch the defense off guard...

Since it continually got wrapped on itself you could probably say it was a problem and have them replace the nets, citing the rule (exact citation escapes me) which basically says we can make decisions on items not specifically covered within the rules. But that can be a hairy situation, as a lot of people (officials included) say that if something isn't specifically declared illegal in the rulebook, then it's legal. If it were me, and I hadn't known about the nets ahead of time, then probably after the 2nd or 3rd time it happened (assuming it happened early and regularly), I'd have them change the nets right there. Afterwards I'd call my assignor and let him deal with it.