Thread: Nets
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Nets

I had a game last night in a gym where the home school has apparently modified the nets. It's a little bit hard to describe, but it looks like they have created slits all the way around the bottom of the net by cutting the bottom two or three threads, then bunched up each slit and wrapped it with white athletic tape. I say the home school has apparently modified them, because I spent 30 minutes after I got home last night on the web and can't find anything close being sold anywhere.

The nets make a great sound when a jump shot passes through, but the problem is that the net is constantly getting wrapped around the rim. In a girl's varsity game last night, I didn't count, but I bet we stopped the game at least a dozen times to get the nets down. In fact I joked with the visting coach (who won by 15) that I thought one of my partners was probably the high scorer for the night due to the number of times he made a layup to bring the net down.

Besides the delay factor, this could take away an advantage from a team that wants to get the ball in play quickly and run the floor. I asked the AD if I was the first official to say something about the nets, and he just smiled and said "haven't you heard of homecourt advantage"? I don't believe there is specific rules coverage for this situation. Anyone run into something like this before?