Thread: Choice of out?
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 12, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

interference

The scenario was "Charles interferes with F4." This occurred after Charles was put out.

Did Charles barrel into F4, prevent F4 from getting off a good throw, or get in the way of the throw well after F4 made it (and if the latter, was it intentional)? If Charles did not prevent F4 from making his normal throw and was merely hit by the throw and it was accidental, no interference -- run scores and there are 2 outs. Next batter up. Play ball. ASA Rule 8-8-J.

If Chalres crashed into F4 and prevented him from getting a good throw off (even if accidental) or if Charles intentionally interfered with the throw (e.g. F4 got off a perfect throw and it hit Charles halfway between 1B and 2B), we have interference. We can sometimes infer intent to interfere with a thrown ball based on circumstances, but sometimes we cannot so infer. For the sake of this question, assume that it was interference as defined by the rules and was an obvious attempt to break up a double play.

I think there is some clause in the ASA rules stating that a given rule shall not be applied in an over-technical manner to benefit the team that violates the rule. I think this is a perfect example. I would invoke that rule and call the batter-runner out for the 3rd out. I don't think anyone would have grounds to complain.

[It also seems unlikely that Abel would have scored before the interference, but he might have been very fast -- and it makes for a great discussion anyway.]