View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Selective hearing. If a coach is just "chirping", a simple nod of the head (~the "I hear your coach"~ nod, I have NO idea how to describe this, please don't ask), or an "OK" should suffice. Notice that very few veterans will say engage in some sort of long winded conversation. Question-response-move on.

Additionally, you aren't "ignoring" the coach, you are choosing when it is and is not necessary to respond to their attempted verbal engagement with you. I know, from being a former coach as well as an official, that many times coaches don't want to talk, they want to be heard. That's it.

Please note, that for me, if a coach is constantly questioning calls, politely or not, then I will ask the coach to let us officiate the game. If the coach continues, then a warning, then a T. I have only given one T to a coach in the past 4-5 years (~1300 games during that span) for incessant officiating from the bench.

Another example from this season . . . coach is questioning calls almost every time down the floor. At one point he wants a foul on his player while shooting. (GV - 3 person) I end up in trail right in front of him. Coach: "How can my two best officials not see that foul right in front of you?" Me: "Coach, if we're your two best officials, don't you trust us? (crickets chirping . . .) Coach: ~no response~