View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... you could have spared him the DQ by calling the Team Technical for having hands through the plane (after DOG warning) prior to the contact with the ball. That is, if you were trying to be a sweetie about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No, you couldn't. There's either a case or a recent interp that the "hitting the ball" gets punished, even if it is technically preceeeded by the "reaching through the plane."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm calling it the way bob jenkins suggests, but I don't recall either an interpretation, or case play, from the NFHS. I would love to see such a citation. I do recall some discussion regarding this situation here on the Forum a year, or two, ago. Maybe that's where bob jenkins heard something? I'm sure Nevadaref will be along in a little while to find some obscure, probably very old, interpretation to clear this up. Or perhaps Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. can climb up into his cold attic to find some rule written in fountain pen (remember those) that he got from his buddy, Jimmy, you know, the guy with the peach baskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's the same way I view it, but I would still love to see some type of citation from the NFHS.
This one is in the current book, Billy!

10.3.10 SITUATION D: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Earlier in the game, Team B had received a team warning for delay. RULING: Even though Team B hadalready been issued a warning for team delay, when B1 breaks the plane and subsequently contacts the ball in the thrower’s hand, it is considered all the same act and the end result is penalized. A player technical foul is assessed to B1; two free throws and a division line throw-in for Team A will follow. The previous warning for team delay still applies with any subsequent team delay resulting in a team technical foul. (4-47; 9-2-10 Penalty 3; 10-1-5c)