View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Very rarely.

Only if he's asking a question, politely, standing in his box (or sitting if that's required), and the moment permits it.

If he's doing any of the following, he does not get his explanation:
1. making a statement rather than a question.
2. standing outside his box.
3. Using a disrespectful tone.
4. Yelling
5. So far away that you'd have to yell across the floor.
6. Keeps asking for explanations.

I'm more likely to do this when it's an unusual call, also; and there's a limit.

If he asks for an explanation, give him one but don't engage in debate.
I would basically agree with Shaq on this one. One of the big complaints that coaches have about officials they dislike is that the officials "refuse to acknowledge me during the game."

In three-man, officials have much more of a chance to engage with the coaches for QUESTIONS -- especially after reporting a foul that involves multiple free throws. In two-man, the reporting official has responsibilities after reporting shooting fouls. Thus, the opportunity for interaction is much less.

Typically, coaches are asking questions about a violation such as a travel (what did he do?) or a foul (what did he do? didn't he get there in time?). Then, there are the misunderstood rules such as "last-touch-first-touch" back court violations, basket interference calls/non-calls, "sliding-but-not-rolling" non-travels, etc. that almost always yield a questioning coaches plea.

But, as Shaq also states, I will STOP offering explanations to the questions of "what did he do?" if the occasional question escalates to a constant inquisition. The other very good point that Shaq brings up is not engaging in a debate. The coach can ask a question. I provide the answer as to what I SAW. I like to include that in my answer back to the coach. When the coach asks, "what did he do?", I will typically respond with "Coach, from my angle, I felt that the defender hit the shooter's arm on the way up." This may lead to a statement such as "well, you missed it, you had a bad angle", but that statement will generally end the conversation as it was a statement rather than a question.

Some officials feel more comfortable talking with coaches than others. Some engage in far too much conversation with coaches -- offering explanations on call after call during the game. As an official, you have to determine what fits your personality the best while still keeping a good flow to the game.

I really like the document that BillyMac provided as I was typing.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 01:05pm.