View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
There's absolutely no difference. Its all PR. The NFL either wants its officials in the spotlight, or it doesn't. If this show had chronicled the CREW, or, say, several Referees, then that might be a little different. Something behind the scenes that give fans a look into what officials do isn't PR based -- its information based.
I am not seeing the problem here. If you show that officials are regular successful people and have other things going on in their lives (like many of us know already as officials) what is the problem?

This guy gave one interview. There was a lot more to his interview than what he did in one game or one call. Interviews by definition are to get information to the general public. And PR is different from information. And there have been several pieces from NFL Films on many officials and why they do what they do. Carey's assignment to the Super Bowl was a special event (Never had an African-American Referee before) and he is an interesting guy.

The person that was the Umpire in my game, has been interviewed several times by the local media (he is from Chicago and a member of an association I belong to) and is also one of the directors of USA Football on the Officiating side. The reason they do these interviews is to give the average public information about people they only see on the field and they know nothing about them.

Peace