Thread: 1 or 2 T's?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Had a situation (similar to what I'm posting here, but a little different) last night that got my partner and I to talking afterwards. Team A is shooting 1 and 1. Ball is bounced to the free thrower A1 for his shot. Horn sounds just as the kid gets the ball, and trail looks over to the table and see Team A's sub A6 running in while his teammate has the ball to shoot the 1 and 1.

Our discussion led us to this answer to the situation: T on A6 for entering the game without being beckoned, team T on A for having 6 on the floor during a live ball. A1 shoots his 1 and 1 with the lane cleared, then administer B's free throws for the T's.

I kept reading the rule book and casebook last night, but couldn't find anything definitive that would "disagree" with how we would have ruled on it.

Of course, partner and I agreed that we PRAY this never happens to us but you never know in some of these sub-varsity games.
We just had a similar discussion on another forum a short time ago. While many of my colleagues disagreed with me (several others agreed), the source of this problem is the inadvertent horn (or, perhaps, a proper horn that the officials ignored). You did not indicate whether it was the visiting team shooting or the home team. But, just for argument sake, let's say, Team A is the visiting team.

An error made by Team B's clock operator -- sounding the horn -- could end up costing Team A four points along with a chance for an offensive rebound, if one of the free throws is missed.

The player must be BECKONED on to the floor by an official -- the horn is for the officials not for the players. That is the rule, that is what many officials point to when telling you that they will begin lighting up Team A like a Xmas Tree. In fact, many of them specifically mention this point in pregame with the coaches and the captains (as though the captains hear anything we say).

Unfortunately, players still view the HORN as their signal to enter -- particularly on free throws. In fact, many players get nervous waiting to come into a game. I have heard officials jump on a player if the player does not immediately respond to the official's beckoning of the player following the horn. Therefore, players, not wanting to get jumped on, jump in quickly when they hear the horn.

In this situation, I am going to blow my whiste as the trail or center AS SOON AS I HEAR THE HORN. Team A's FTer has already been disconcerted from his normal free throw by the horn. I am going to get the ball back to the lead, bring the player onto the floor, and remind him to wait until he is beckoned. At the same time, I am going to ask that the clock operator keep a closer look at the lead official and delay the horn once the official has indicated the number of shots to be taken.

I am issuing zero technical fouls here for the horn sounding. Many others will be giving you the proper procedure for ringing in the T's.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 09:54am.