View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:42pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Love those subvarsity and kids' games, don't we??? Two classics for you folks.

First-YMCA youth league, Kindergarten-aged kids. They were all the same height except for this one boy, who was about 3-4 inches taller than the rest. He was grabbing all kinds of rebounds and basically having his way with the ball. Something tells me he was older too, but not my problem. Anyhow, I have this dad (not the coach) chirping about how his kid is getting killed out there (keep in mind I was working this alone). I had to remind him, with the coach's help, about the Y's rules about respect and all that. Out of the blue, I asked him which kid was his. He said the big one. I was dumbfounded. Wasn't even a minute back on the floor, dad starts chirping again. I stopped the game and told dad to take a hike. If you're wondering about game management, poor gal had three games going in the gym, as well as a couple in another gym so she was running around like a chicken with her head cut off, but she supported my actions fully.

Second-Boys HS reserve (sophomore) game just last week. Partner threw out a player and an assistant coach from the same team, both before halftime. Player ejected for an F-bomb loud enough for the whole gym to hear. Assistant coach tossed for questioning my partner's decision to eject the player by asking the fans if anyone heard the F-bomb, and not staying the out of the discussion my partner was having with the head coach about what was happening. Odd how the team played better in the 2nd half, and the head coach did a better coaching job in the 2nd half.